Thursday, March 4, 2010

#12

The end of the Cubs chapter broadens into a wider debate about belief and faith. Why believe in something if you know it will most likely lead to pain and suffering? Why go up to the plate if you know will most likely fail (80% chance)? Why follow Jesus Christ if you must "face persecution" and "pick up your cross" to do so? I can relate to this in two ways. For one, when I go up to bat in baseball, the rewards of getting a hit or getting on base are so rewarding that it is worth the 8 times I will get out for the two times I will get on base or get a hit. The rewards outweigh the risk in the situation. Pertaining to religion, most Christians like me would agree that the rewards of getting to heaven and having eternal life with Jesus and God outweigh the risks of being hurt and made fun of here on earth. Having faith in something is natural for any human being, the author says, and I find this to affect me more than most other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment