Wednesday, February 24, 2010

#4

I finished up the chapter about "home" today. It sums up with a section about the true home in baseball, a team's stadium. This section really touched me because of the stories the author tells and how they relate to me. He says that anywhere you can throw food rappers on the ground and yell at umpires and players from 200 feet away without getting reprimanded definitely deserves to be called home. Every time I go to my favorite teams stadium, I feel at home, with all my family surrounding me all rooting for the same team, all connected in that same way. Also, when corporate sponsors "buy" the rights to the names of stadiums, the "family" who "lives" in that "home" is angry because, as the author says, it's like someone set-up a billboard in your living room. When the White Sox, my favorite team, changed the name of their stadium from Comiskey Park after the founder to U.S. Cellular Field after a sponsor, my family was devastated, and I as I read this, I felt now I understood why I feel such a strong connection to the "homes" of baseball.

No comments:

Post a Comment